Phylum Apple

A new convert joins the Phylum of Apple.

Monday, February 14, 2005

Size Doesn't Matter!

Consider this piece of conversation:
"Hey, man. That's a bit titchy!" says the first man.
"Well, I don't think so," answers the other man. "People tell me 12 inches is big enough."
"No, man, you need at least 15 inches to be happy," opines the first man.
"I'm telling you, 12 inches is enough to get things done," the other man insists.
Had this conversation before? Of course, I'm talking about notebook screen size here, and one of the many things people do when they find out I've bought a 12" iBook G4, is that they scold me for getting too small a screen. The thing about getting notebooks is you have to get 15 inches, at least 14, or so they preach.

Of course, the size of your notebook is a matter of preference, and most who have actually commented in the negative upon knowing my purchase of a 12-incher have not seen the 12" iBook in the flesh (or in the silicon, whatever).

But when they see my shiny iBook in all it's shining white glory, they are immediately astounded and complaints of a small screen are no longer heard. They praise the build, the look, the feel and of course, the virtues and style of Mac OS X.

Suddenly it dawns upon the naysayer of a 12-incher--size doesn't matter.